Tuesday, December 2, 2008

On Friends and Foes

Friends and foes, thus do I speak unto those who would bear arms. For I shall make enemies of my friends and friends of my foes. Thus do we strive to become as Gods.

A little friction and a pinch of contradiction, thus do my friendships secure me from a dull slumber, and a course without progress. For progress is measured by resistance; never could I consign to victory if I never felt the fear of defeat.

A little contradiction, thus do we spare our friendships from a big contradiction, a treaty doomed to the shore and the reef. With a little disagreement do we make amends, but with great disagreements, faction and disparity.

Peace and war, sword and laurel, such are the emblems of my faith in friendship. A little war goes towards great peace, but too much war to infamy and destruction.

A little enmity goes a long way in friendship; thus are friends put on their guard towards a greater enmity. But too much friendship courts too much comfort and sleep.

Amongst the graves of friendship I have always seen inscribed: "It was in too great a friendship that my friendship was broken," and "Without a little skirmish, we were unprepared for a greater battle!" So if you would rise to the rank of general, a little soldiery in friendship is needed, and skill in battle.

The best ambassadors to friendship I have always found to be the best warriors; what is his knowledge of friendship if it has never been put to the sword?

A few daggers from ahead are always better than from behind. With a little jugglery, one learns to avoid small cuts.

But once stabbed in the confidence of too much friendship, one is asked to admire the hilt of the betrayal.

It must also be said how friendship is cemented with the acknowledgment of clownhood. If one thinks himself above the clown, then one only receives laughter from the other and much offense.

But in the recognition of clownhood, one's tomfoolery is fuel for common laughter. For in the coldness of poverty, both take delight in the same fire.

Thus is the meaning of friendship, and thus do I speak unto those whose friendship would pave the way to the Superman. But with a friendship of the couch, one must consign to a long and undisturbed slumber.

Thus speaks Ding Dong.

No comments: